Monday, October 8, 2012

The Whole Story

Tomorrow, Atticus will be four.  In honor of his birthday, I'm going to post a bunch of photos of the little golf outing our family took a couple months ago.  Golf is, after all, Atticus's favorite pasttime.
















































I know it looks like everyone's having a great time in all these photos- and make no mistake, we did have fun- but man, is it a lot of work to take the three of them anywhere out of the ordinary.  Scratch that:  It's really just a lot of work to get all five of us out in public.  So to have all three of the kiddos out on a golf course, where a certain amount of decorum is expected, and try to get them all to behave like normal human beings- well, let's just say it was less "Look at our little family, can't you tell we're having the time of our lives?" and more "GOODNESS, CHILDREN- don't touch that, Caedmon- AREN'T WE- Atticus, come back here- JUST HAVING- Adelaide, get up, we do not roll around in the rough- THE BEST- Caedmon, stay out of the water- TIME?"

By the end of the (everlasting and exhausting) round, Derek and I both agreed that we wouldn't be taking all three children out for golf again for at least five years.  Or never. 

But at least we got some good photos out of the whole venture, right?  That's all that matters.  Not the emotional scars we'll all bear for years, but the pictures. 



8 comments:

  1. It does look like everyone is having a good time. It looks very CALM. I have never been on a real golf course (I know mini-golf doesn't count), so I don't know what kind of decorum is expected. I assume that rolling around in the sand pit is not allowed, and that's why one has to go to the town 'beach' you mentioned in a previous post.

    Another amazing thing to me in these photos is how green the grass is (is it real?) and how dry and short the corn looks, esp for the end of August.

    Happy 4th birthday to your golfer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The corn showed what the summer did to our section of the country- drought conditions make for dry, stunted crops. The golf course reflects gratuitous watering.

    I had never been on a golf course until Derek and I got married. I still don't golf, as evidenced by my role as photographer that day. I have zero hand-eye coordination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always equally amazed at how the photos of an event can make it look like it was so easy. But with kids, that isn't ever true, is it? Although it does get a lot easier as they get older, so maybe five years is a good wait time.

    I have never been on a golf course either :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And keep in mind that I took a lot more photos than the ones featured here. This is definitely a highlight reel.

      Delete
  4. Adelaide and Atticus' did pretty well, Atticus and I have golfed several times. Caedmon is the trouble maker, he's just not at that stage yet where I say jump and he says "how high?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, and for those of you who don't know, proper Golf decorum is mainly standing still and not yelling, you see why that doesn't work with little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how just knowing that kind of makes me want to run around and yell when we're there. Kind of like the barely-controllable urge to scream in church.

      Delete
  6. Looks like wide, open spaces for lots of running and yelling to me!

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.