Tuesday, March 4, 2014

More Book Reviews. Five of Them.

Look!  It's the day immediately following yesterday's post, and I'm doing more reviews!  I'm doing what I said I would!  Exclamation points!




Bossypants by Tina Fey

I am not a regular watcher of SNL, and I've seen approximately one and a half seasons of Fey's show, 30 Rock, so while I knew who Tina Fey was, I didn't know much about her.  I really only read this book because my sister loaned me her Kindle so I could take it home and read all the books she and her husband had recommended.  And oh, my.  Oh my goodness.  I laughed.  I laughed much.  Fey is hilarious and sharp and also hilarious.  I had to put the book down at one point because I couldn't breathe, and I've decided to start saying "May I be amazing at you?" to people.  Prepare yourselves.  Big thanks to Kelli for the rec.







The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle



If you are one of those people who often thinks things like Those dang Mexicans are ruining everything and Why can't they just stay in their own country and Squawk Squawk Outraged Squawk, then you should read this book and learn to have some freaking compassion.









Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes


Before you even ask, this author's name sounds familiar because he's the creator of Downton Abbey.  This was a book club pick that I probably never would have plucked off the shelf on my own, as I don't generally go for books about elitest, pedigreed Brits in the 1960's and 1970's, but this was strangely entertaining.  I did have trouble drumming up any sympathy for their rather privileged woes, but it was interesting to read about a world that is increasingly obsolete.








Blood Song by Anthony Ryan




The first in a solid, attention-snaring fantasy series that poses intriguing questions about the meaning of faith and patriotism.  Loved it.  Thanks to Aaron for this recommendation.









Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?  (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling



I thought this one was okay.  I chuckled a few times, and was interested enough to read the whole thing, but certainly wasn't wowed.  To be fair, I read this right after Bossypants, so just about anything intended to be humorous probably wasn't going to measure up.  I still found Kaling to be very likable, and am curious as to what she's been up to since the end of the book.










More reviews up tomorrow.  Probably.  Maybe.  Hopefully.  We'll just see.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read Bossypants for a while now. I'll have to get that downloaded.

    Really, when I think of Julian Fellowes his character on Monarch of the Glen always comes to mind. It's just hard to take that man seriously as an author :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Adding another book to my endless list of "want-to-read". I think I'll buy Bossypants and then save it to read on the plane as we fly to pick up our daughter. I love to read hilarious books on an airplane so that people around me think I'm losing my mind as I snort and wipe away tears of laughter. :D

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.