Thursday, February 18, 2016

Things, Three of Them

  • Caedmon has discovered the fun to be had in a word search.  He is very intense about them, as evidenced by The Dimple.





  • Unfortunately for Target, I don't actually buy anything from their book section, but I do take pictures of newer titles to request from the library, because I love the way Target merchandises their books.  Don't take it personally, Target; I don't buy new books from anyone, really.  I'm more of a used books kind of girl.

Anyone read this one?  Is it good?  I hear Target has it for 20% off.



  • Caedmon pulled a book off one of our shelves yesterday, opened it up, and asked me what it was.  "Oh- that's your baby book," I told him.  "What's a baby book?"  "It's a book you fill out about your baby:  Stories about them, pictures of them, how much they've grown, things like that."  "When are you supposed to fill it out?"  "Well... I guess when you have a baby."  *momentary silence*  "Then why is mine blank?"

"Because Mommy sucks, that's why."  "Because you're a third child."  "Because my priority that year was keeping you alive."  I didn't say any of those things, although they all applied.  I gave him a mixed-up, watered-down version of those excuses, and he seemed fine with it, especially when he found the sandwich bag of his hair stuffed in between a couple pages from his first haircut.  I have no memory of that haircut, of putting hair clippings in a bag, or of getting my act together long enough to put it in his baby book for safe keeping.  However!  As we went through the (mostly blank) book, I realized that I could answer most of the prompts within because I'd written about them here, on the blog!  I wrote about how dang happy he was.  I wrong about how dang cranky he was.  It's all on here, buried somewhere in 700 posts, one of which included this picture:
I'm a sucker for angry baby photos.  I feel like I need to print this and put it in a locket, just to watch people flinch when I snap it open after asking, "Do you want to see a picture of my beautiful baby boy?"  That sounds like a better idea than hiding it away in a baby book, anyway.  I'm just sure he would agree, especially now that he's reached the age where he knows enough to be embarrassed by me.  I have the best ideas sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea about the book. I am finally reading "All the Light We Cannot See."

    That is quite a face in that last photo! And a real keeper of a photo - you need to haul it out at all of his milestone markers - birthday parties, graduations, wedding.

    Now I am going to read about his happiness and crankiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how well he dressed for his grumpy look! Just to try and throw everyone off! I too line up books at target and take pictures! Then find someone who has them...or has read them.....or the library

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture cracks me up! Definitely a keeper.
    Blogging is an excellent keeper of records, but you should probably go ahead and fill out that baby book. My 4th child was 3 years old before he realized his brothers all had a photo book of their first year or two (or three) and he had nothing. I spent weeks pulling one together for his Christmas gift that year, which he's hardly looked at (he's now 16) but at least it is there! I didn't have the blog but I did have his brothers' information, so there may have been some averaging of when certain teeth came into view. ;)

    I'll have to look on Goodreads and my public library website to find out more about that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. --I literally laughed out loud at your imagined flipping open a locket to show the grumpy picture of your beautiful baby! (still makes me giggle)

    --I am SO surprised Shayla didn't blast you for not having his baby book filled out. She has been on me constantly over the years, so out of fear of her middle-child angst, I have kept baby books religiously. . .for the first five children. (Why has she not harped on me about Aryana's book? I will blame it on her when Aryana asks. . ."Aunt Shayla didn't tell me to keep up with it, so you'll need to talk to her about that." Phew, good excuse!)

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.