Monday, November 28, 2011

Farewell, Fall

Cooler temperatures have recently blown into central Iowa.  This morning when Adelaide left for school it was 29 degrees out, which I know will feel downright tropical come January, but for now feels pretty chilly.

These more winter-like conditions, plus the fact that we only have two more days in November make me feel like Autumn is over.  How about a photo recap?


We continued to go for lots of walks throughout most of the Fall.




Atticus likes to pull the wagon, which makes me look like a really lazy mom straggling behind the wagon, forcing her children to do all the work.  I'm okay with that.

We continued to water our mums, hardy pansies, and tulip and hyacinth bulbs.




Caedmon was really helpful.




We went to the apple orchard/ pumpkin patch.  We got zero apples and zero pumpkins.


But we did play in the corn pool!  After all, this is Iowa.





What's that?  You've never been in a corn pool?  It's basically a giant pool... of corn.

Aren't you glad I'm here to explain these things to you?


Atticus showed Mark how to make it rain corn...





Then Mark showed Atticus how to make it pour.





Mark and Atticus also sped down the giant slide.




It really is huge, and somehow the burlap sacks you slide down on make it very, very fast.

No, really.





Top...




...bottom.  Big.

We also jumped around on the big bouncing pad, saw a bunch of farm animals, and went on a hay rack ride that busy day at the orchard.  In the following weeks we kept finding corn in our clothing and coats.  When I washed the clothes the boys had worn that day, I opened the dryer and a cataract of corn came spilling out onto my feet.  I still find kernels at odd places around the house.



A few days after that trip we celebrated Halloween.



I feel like my kids are at a perfect age to go trick-or-treating:  They aren't old enough to start whining about going without Mom and Dad, and I can still basically make them wear whatever I want, like cute and fluffy chicken costumes that make our youngest boy look like a girl.


The beginning of October was unseasonably warm, and we took advantage of it by spending lots of time outside.



A month later it was no longer quite so warm, and while the kiddos still wanted to play outside, I retreated indoors.





Of course, fall brought with it football season.  It will continue through part of winter.  I will not exactly be devastated when it is over, although Derek has mellowed quite a bit, on the outside, at least.




I have this wild and crazy notion that our sweet, sweet Spudley might have something to do with that.





Here's hoping everyone had a magnificent Fall, a terrific Thanksgiving, and a better football season than we have.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.