Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Positives and Negatives

I love a good Positive and Negative list.  Here's one applied to our kids' Halloween costumes.


Adelaide


Costume:  Clown



Positives:


  • It didn't take long to prepare: We used the make-up from last year's tiger costume, and spent about fifteen minutes applying it to her face.  
  • Inexpensive:  We already had the makeup, and she was able to wear regular, cold weather clothing trick-or-treating.
  • She loved all the colors.
Negatives:
  • The strength of her costume relied solely on her makeup, since she didn't wear actual clown clothing.  I'm going to go ahead and spin this into a positive, by pointing out that I don't think it's a negative thing to teach her to direct all attention to her face, especially when I see more and more young ladies treating Halloween as Dress-Up-As-A-Tramp Day (and by Tramp I do not mean the lovable Disney pooch from the wrong side of the tracks).
  • She couldn't wear it to school, because they weren't allowed to wear their costumes all day, they had to instead bring it with them to change into in the afternoon for their parade down Main Street.  Instead, she wore a little apron, matching chef's hat, carried her kids' cookbook and a small whisk, all of which we already owned.  To turn another negative into a positive (an annoying habit of mine), she actually got two costumes this Halloween, and two is better than one, right?
  • I tried to get her to let me paint her up as an Emmett Kelly-style hobo clown, but she wasn't having it.


Caedmon

Costume:  Chicken



Positives: 
  • He was so freaking cute.
  • It kept him really warm.
  • It slid right on over a onesie, and I got to hear Derek say things like, "Your mother did this to you, not me," as he put it on Spud.
  • We got to hear all kinds of other people coo and "Awww!" over him.
  • I got it for $3 at a garage sale.
Negatives:
  • We were told over and over that "She is just so cute in that chicken costume!"


Atticus

Costume:  Fireman



Positives:
  • It was easy: a raincoat and firefighter's hat.
  • It was inexpensive: the raincoat was mine in Kindergarten and Adelaide got the hat a couple weeks ago on a field trip to the Slater Fire Department.
  • It was warm.
Negatives:
  • It's the same costume he wore last year.  He was going to be something else, but I couldn't find this jacket of his that I needed to make it.  I'll probably find it tomorrow and be mad.
  • The hat was too small for his gigantic head and kept falling off.


Overall, the night was one great big Positive:  we had a great time, and the kids were really tired by the time we got home and went straight to bed.




I hope everyone else had a safe and happy Halloween.





1 comment:

  1. I feel like a heel because my kiddos missed out this year since we got stuck in KC an extra day. And Aria was sooo looking forward to it... :-(

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.