Friday, November 2, 2012

This May Become Our Go-To Substitute for "Trick or Treat"

Celebrating holidays with small children is always interesting.

Adelaide is old enough to remember past Halloweens, but Atticus clearly had no idea what I was talking about when, a few weeks ago, I asked what he wanted to dress up as.  As a result, he decided he wanted to be Spiderman mid-afternoon on Halloween, after seeing other boys dressed up in Adelaide's elementary school Halloween parade. Needless to say, by then it was too late.  He ended up being a clown, simply because that's what Adelaide wanted to be.

Caedmon also had no idea what was going on when I began stuffing him into last year's almost-too-small chick costume.  Still, he swung his little pumpkin bucket happily enough as he followed his two older siblings to the first house we visited, then stood silently as our neighbor put candy in his pumpkin.  After some prompting, he managed a whispered, "Day-dew."  (Thank you.)

By the time we had walked from the first house to the second, however, he had obviously had time to process exactly what this night was all about.  People were giving him candy.  And he was going to get to eat it.  Whoa.

As a result, when the next person opened their front door holding a big bowl of candy, Caedmon started crowding the doorway, and rather than the polite "Trick or Treat," Atticus and Adelaide were chorusing, his demand was,
"PUT CANDY IN MAH BUCKET!"

Fortunately, this neighbor of ours decided to find an avaricious chick about to trample him cute rather than rude, chuckled good-naturedly, then gave him a Snickers.

We had a talk with him once he returned to the wagon, and from that point on he managed to keep his greed in check and kept his salutations to "Trick or Treat!" and "Day-dew!"













You'll notice that Atticus and Adelaide don't really have costumes; their entire look centers on my shoddy face-painting skills.  Except it's not even face paint, it's Halloween make-up I bought three years ago and is finally starting to get a little crumbly.  There's probably oodles of bacteria growing on it while it sits in a dark cabinet the rest of the year, and this may have been the last year I could pass it off as a reasonable costume effort.  Especially now that Atticus has seen what other kids with loving moms do for them on Halloween.

Not that I don't love my kids.  I do.

Just not enough to actually buy them Halloween costumes, evidently.

8 comments:

  1. "Put candy in muh bucket!"
    For this year only, you really should have let him keep saying that. This year it would have been darling. Next year, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We trick-or-treated in our neighborhood, which consists mostly of older people. I figured they would either a) find it cute or b) find it rude. We decided to play it safe.

      Delete
  2. I think the face paint job is great. But I never thought about how bacteria would grow on it during the year. I guess I'd better throw out our supply that I bought 5 years ago.

    The chick costume is ADORABLE which is probably not the reaction your son will want to know about. That costume has the added benefit of providing warmth. His facial expression is just priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love the chick- probably one of my favorite garage sale finds ever.

      The bacteria just occurred to me when I read that you're supposed to throw mascara out once it's six months old because of bacteria and the possibility of infecting your eyes. I still don't do it, but at least I'll know the culprit if an eye ever does get gunky.

      Delete
  3. I must be unfamiliar with clowns. I had no idea they all had black eyes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to steer them toward other colors, but Adelaide insisted that she needed one eye to be purple and the other pink (which didn't show up very well), and Atticus wanted one green and one yellow.

      Purple, pink, green, and yellow. Unhealthy, bruise-like colors that I'm sure just screamed, "Halloween fun!"

      Delete
  4. Oh Caedmon, Sweet Caedmon. Uncle Clinton said we have plenty of candy to put in everyone's Halloween buckets! Granted, they're nasty tootsie rolls but I don't think you'll care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won't, and will try to make you adopt him if he thinks he'll get candy on a regular basis. And if he can bring Derek to live with him. You have an extra bedroom, right?

      Delete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.